The Esplanade Boardwalk is the heartbeat of Cairns. Located along the scenic coast, this outdoor promenade is the perfect place for weary travelers to stretch their legs and take in the natural sights. The three-mile pathway winds through damp lagoons ideal for birding, past scenic points of interest and historic relics left behind from World War II.
Trendy shops, sidewalk restaurants and bustling pubs are all within walking distance of the well-traveled Esplanade. And nearby public BBQs and outdoor exercise stations are the prime spots for striking up conversations with locals, who love the Esplanade Boardwalk almost as much as visitors.
The Esplanade Boardwalk is open year-round and is free to enter. Runners take advantage of the wooden slats that are easier on the knees than blacktop surfaces. A number of scenic stop-offs offer striking views of sunrise and sunset.
- Things to Do in Cairns with Kids
- Romantic Things to Do in Cairns and the Tropical North
- How to Spend 2 Days in Cairns
- Things to Do in Cairns This Summer
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Cairns and the Tropical North
- How to Spend 3 Days in Cairns & the Tropical North
- Things to Do in Cairns This Winter